Skip to main content

Adding a CakePHP based virtual host in Apache 2.2

It's very simple to set up a name based virtual host in Apache 2.2 using the default Ubuntu package.

I'm assuming that you have installed Apache already and that you have edited /etc/apache2/sites-enabled/000-default to change the AllowOverride None to something like this:

<Directory /var/www/>
                Options Indexes FollowSymLinks MultiViews
                AllowOverride All
                Order allow,deny
                allow from all
        </Directory>

If you have not already used this command

sudo a2enmod rewrite

then do so in order to enable mod_rewrite.

Now edit your /etc/hosts file and add an entry that points to the server where you are setting up the virtual host.

The line should look something like this:

192.168.0.100  mysite.local

Where the IP address points to the server where you are setting up the host and mysite.local is a nickname for the site. Remember to add the .local :)

Now create a file in /etc/apache2/sites-available and name it something that relates to the sitename (for future maintainability). I would suggest naming it the same as the sitename. Edit it and copy this basic skeleton structure into it:

<VirtualHost *:80>
        ServerAdmin webmaster@example.com
        ServerName  mysite.local
        ServerAlias mysite

        # Indexes + Directory Root.
        DirectoryIndex index.php
        DocumentRoot /var/www/mysite/
</VirtualHost>

It is important that the ServerName matches the entry you made in your /etc/hosts file.

Now run the command a2ensite mysite.local which is a Debian convenience command which creates the symbolic link from the file you created to the /etc/apache2/sites-enabled/ directory.

You will need to restart Apache (service apache2 restart). If all is well you will be able to navigate to http://mysite.local on your local machine and view the site present on the server at /var/www/mysite

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Separating business logic from persistence layer in Laravel

There are several reasons to separate business logic from your persistence layer.  Perhaps the biggest advantage is that the parts of your application which are unique are not coupled to how data are persisted.  This makes the code easier to port and maintain. I'm going to use Doctrine to replace the Eloquent ORM in Laravel.  A thorough comparison of the patterns is available  here . By using Doctrine I am also hoping to mitigate the risk of a major version upgrade on the underlying framework.  It can be expected for the ORM to change between major versions of a framework and upgrading to a new release can be quite costly. Another advantage to this approach is to limit the access that objects have to the database.  Unless a developer is aware of the business rules in place on an Eloquent model there is a chance they will mistakenly ignore them by calling the ActiveRecord save method directly. I'm not implementing the repository pattern in all its glory in this demo.  

Fixing puppet "Exiting; no certificate found and waitforcert is disabled" error

While debugging and setting up Puppet I am still running the agent and master from CLI in --no-daemonize mode.  I kept getting an error on my agent - ""Exiting; no certificate found and waitforcert is disabled". The fix was quite simple and a little embarrassing.  Firstly I forgot to run my puppet master with root privileges which meant that it was unable to write incoming certificate requests to disk.  That's the embarrassing part and after I looked at my shell prompt and noticed this issue fixing it was quite simple. Firstly I got the puppet ssl path by running the command   puppet agent --configprint ssldir Then I removed that directory so that my agent no longer had any certificates or requests. On my master side I cleaned the old certificate by running  puppet cert clean --all  (this would remove all my agent certificates but for now I have just the one so its quicker than tagging it). I started my agent up with the command  puppet agent --test   whi

Redirecting non-www urls to www and http to https in Nginx web server

Image: Pixabay Although I'm currently playing with Elixir and its HTTP servers like Cowboy at the moment Nginx is still my go-to server for production PHP. If you haven't already swapped your web-server from Apache then you really should consider installing Nginx on a test server and running some stress tests on it.  I wrote about stress testing in my book on scaling PHP . Redirecting non-www traffic to www in nginx is best accomplished by using the "return" verb.  You could use a rewrite but the Nginx manual suggests that a return is better in the section on " Taxing Rewrites ". Server blocks are cheap in Nginx and I find it's simplest to have two redirects for the person who arrives on the non-secure non-canonical form of my link.  I wouldn't expect many people to reach this link because obviously every link that I create will be properly formatted so being redirected twice will only affect a small minority of people. Anyway, here's