Skip to main content

Changing background color in SMIL


I've been working on a gateway system that will help a WASP to accept MMS requests and pass them on to the network for delivery to a mobile handset. For some reason the original designers of the gateway decided not to allow service consumers the ability to upload SMIL directly. Rather, an XML is POSTed to a webservice. The XML is then parsed into SMIL and handed to the network provider in a nice SOAP wrapper.

Why is this a problem? Well it means that only the gateway only supports a subset of SMIL. So in order to make a slide look the way that our client wants it to look we have to modify the gateway code to allow text colours and backgrounds to change.

Another problem I've had is that there seem to be very few SMIL tutorials online. When I'm learning a new language I usually pick up what I need by asking Google. Unfortunately even the mighty search engine draws a blank, provides hopelessly outdated pages, or documents like the technical specifications which I don't have time to wade through.

One useful SMIL tutorial I found was the one provided by the folks who bring you Real player. They were one of the early adopters of SMIL technology and seem to be fairly heavily invested in providing Real Player for the mobile market. Their SMIL tutorial is at least up to date, easy to read, and transfer well to open source development. Of course their player is proprietary and so isn't supported by Ambulant player (an open source SMIL 3.0 compliant player).

The MMS gateway that I'm working on was written in C# about a year and a half ago (I'm guessing). The SMIL code it produces is definitely version 1.0, which wasn't even a full W3C standard. It was only since the release of SMIL 2.0 that it has become a recommendation, which has now been superceded by SMIL 3.0. I found a useful summary of changes between two of these versions (here), but can't find a cheat sheet for version 3.0. As soon as I do I will update this post with it.

I worked out that although the gateway is sending a version 2.0 header it is parsing incoming XML into version 1.0 tags. Instead of properly parsing the incoming color parameters it had a hardcoded value setting all slides to black and white. Since the project is due immediately I decided to rather "cheat" instead of fixing the gateway to parse correctly. I wrote a small PHP image editing class that simply writes whatever text I send it on top of a background image. I then base64_encode the image and send that as normal jpeg image content in my slide. This worked first time.

SMIL defaults the and areas to a uniform black, while regions and subregions are set to be transparent. To change the background colour in SMIL 2.0 you set the backgroundColor attribute (in SMIL 1.0 you would use background-color ).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Separating business logic from persistence layer in Laravel

There are several reasons to separate business logic from your persistence layer.  Perhaps the biggest advantage is that the parts of your application which are unique are not coupled to how data are persisted.  This makes the code easier to port and maintain. I'm going to use Doctrine to replace the Eloquent ORM in Laravel.  A thorough comparison of the patterns is available  here . By using Doctrine I am also hoping to mitigate the risk of a major version upgrade on the underlying framework.  It can be expected for the ORM to change between major versions of a framework and upgrading to a new release can be quite costly. Another advantage to this approach is to limit the access that objects have to the database.  Unless a developer is aware of the business rules in place on an Eloquent model there is a chance they will mistakenly ignore them by calling the ActiveRecord save method directly. I'm not implementing the repository pattern in all its glory in this demo.  

Fixing puppet "Exiting; no certificate found and waitforcert is disabled" error

While debugging and setting up Puppet I am still running the agent and master from CLI in --no-daemonize mode.  I kept getting an error on my agent - ""Exiting; no certificate found and waitforcert is disabled". The fix was quite simple and a little embarrassing.  Firstly I forgot to run my puppet master with root privileges which meant that it was unable to write incoming certificate requests to disk.  That's the embarrassing part and after I looked at my shell prompt and noticed this issue fixing it was quite simple. Firstly I got the puppet ssl path by running the command   puppet agent --configprint ssldir Then I removed that directory so that my agent no longer had any certificates or requests. On my master side I cleaned the old certificate by running  puppet cert clean --all  (this would remove all my agent certificates but for now I have just the one so its quicker than tagging it). I started my agent up with the command  puppet agent --test   whi

Redirecting non-www urls to www and http to https in Nginx web server

Image: Pixabay Although I'm currently playing with Elixir and its HTTP servers like Cowboy at the moment Nginx is still my go-to server for production PHP. If you haven't already swapped your web-server from Apache then you really should consider installing Nginx on a test server and running some stress tests on it.  I wrote about stress testing in my book on scaling PHP . Redirecting non-www traffic to www in nginx is best accomplished by using the "return" verb.  You could use a rewrite but the Nginx manual suggests that a return is better in the section on " Taxing Rewrites ". Server blocks are cheap in Nginx and I find it's simplest to have two redirects for the person who arrives on the non-secure non-canonical form of my link.  I wouldn't expect many people to reach this link because obviously every link that I create will be properly formatted so being redirected twice will only affect a small minority of people. Anyway, here's